Past Catalyse Event
The 5-Session CAT Approach : Skills Training
Using CAT to inform care planning whilst working jointly with the service user and the care co-ordinator
A 2-day workshop led by Angela Carradice & Dawn Bennett
Please note that this event was oversubscribed. If you would like to join a waiting list and be alerted when it will run again, please contact us at email@example.com
Date: Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 November 2018
Time: 10am – 4.45pm
Venue: Chancellors Hotel, Chancellors Way, Moseley Road, Manchester M14 6NN
Fees: ACAT member :: £230.00
Non-ACAT member :: £250.00
(Lunch and refreshments included)
The course was specifically focused on building understanding and skills in using this application of cognitive analytic therapy. It aimed to:
- Enhance understanding and skills to help work with service users who are unable to make use of individual psychotherapy and often have significant risks and instability in their lives.
- Provide knowledge and skill in this approach, developed to enable effective ways of team working with this client group, whilst also focussing on aiming to ‘do not harm’
The ‘5-Session CAT approach’ has been developed by adapting therapeutic skills to work in a containing way with these difficulties. It is different to ‘doing CAT therapy’ and uses different emphases and approaches.
This Skills Building course provided:
- An introduction to the approach and the key skills used
- The chance to observe the skills being used
- The chance to practise the main skills with feedback from the trainers
- Working with the service user and staff to develop ‘here and now’ CAT reformulations and to inform case management
- Working with presenting risks, developing shared goals, and collaboratively agreeing ways that that the service user and care co-ordinator will work together. This would include developing plans for change, a contract with the service, and how endings will be planned and managed.
It was particularly designed for those who provide direct work with service users and indirect consultancy as internal consultants, or are planning to begin. Their likely professional background would be a clinical psychologist or another mental health worker whose role includes consultancy work. The skills used in the approach are also well suited to being adapted to a variety of different contexts and can inform other kinds of work.
Dr Angela Carradice
Angela is a consultant clinical psychologist working in the NHS and private practice. Her NHS work has been in both inpatient and community services. Angela has held a number of leadership roles including leading on CAT and PD across the CMHTs in Sheffield. In private practice, Angela provides teaching and training (mainly on working with teams and/or directly with service users who experience complex difficulties) and clinical supervision (for both direct and indirect work). Angela is a CAT practitioner and CAT supervisor, whose work has also been influenced by systemic thinking and organisational psychology. Her passion is to work as an integrated team member using CAT to meet the needs of the context in which she works. This has involved developing ways of using CAT indirectly, as well as providing individual CAT therapy for service users.
Dr Dawn Bennett
Dawn Bennett is consultant clinical psychologist. In the NHS she has worked in in-patient and community services in adult mental health and as clinical lead. Dawn is a CAT psychotherapist and CAT supervisor. She is Director/Co-ordinator of the two year Catalyse Practitioner Training course, and also has a lead role in ACAT’s Training Committee. She has run CAT skills courses for generic mental health workers in community and in-patient teams and is interested in promoting psychologically informed care. In addition she has conducted research in areas of therapist skill and competencies particularly in the area of the therapeutic alliance. She is currently working on a project in CAT competencies.
Chancellors Hotel, Chancellors Way, Moseley Road, Fallowfield, Manchester, M14 6NN. Click here for hotel website and directions.