Events and Calendar
Forthcoming Catalyse Events
The 5-Session CAT Approach : Skills Training
Using CAT to inform care planning whilst working jointly with the service user and the care co-ordinator
A 2-day workshop led by Angela Carradice & Dawn Bennett
Date: Monday 1st and Tuesday 2nd July 2019
Time: 10am – 4.45pm
Venue: Chancellors Hotel, Chancellors Way, Moseley Road, Manchester M14 6NN
Fees: ACAT member :: £230.00 Non-ACAT member :: £250.00
(Lunch and refreshments included)
The course is specifically focused on building understanding and skills in using this application of cognitive analytic therapy. It aims to:
- Enhance understanding and skills to help work with service users who are unable to make use of individual psychotherapy and often have significant risks and instability in their lives.
- Provide knowledge and skill in this approach, develop effective ways of team working with this client group, whilst also focussing on aiming to ‘do no harm’
The ‘5-Session CAT approach’ has been developed by adapting therapeutic skills to work in a containing way with these difficulties. It is different to ‘doing CAT therapy’ and uses different emphases and approaches. This Skills Building course provides:
- An introduction to the approach and the key skills
- The chance to observe the skills being used
- The chance to practise the main skills with feedback from the trainers
- Working with the service user and staff to develop ‘here and now’ CAT reformulations and to inform case management
- Working with presenting risks, developing shared goals, and collaboratively agreeing ways that that the service user and care co-ordinator will work together. This would include developing plans for change, a contract with the service, and how endings will be planned and managed.
Dr Angela Carradice Angela is a consultant clinical psychologist working in the NHS and private practice. Her NHS work has been in both inpatient and community services. Angela has held a number of leadership roles including leading on CAT and PD across the CMHTs in Sheffield. In private practice, Angela provides teaching and training (mainly on working with teams and/or directly with service users who experience complex difficulties) and clinical supervision (for both direct and indirect work). Angela is a CAT practitioner and CAT supervisor, whose work has also been influenced by systemic thinking and organisational psychology. Her passion is to work as an integrated team member using CAT to meet the needs of the context in which she works. This has involved developing ways of using CAT indirectly, as well as providing individual CAT therapy for service users.
Chancellors Hotel, Chancellors Way, Moseley Road, Fallowfield, Manchester, M14 6NN. Click here for hotel website and directions
For Satnav purposes please use postcode M14 6ZT.
Please see the Accommodation guidance provided at the end of this page.
Places are limited to a maximum of 25 participants. We advise early booking to secure your place. Once fully subscribed a further waiting list will be in place.
Online booking, see below. If invoicing is required there is an additional charge of £15.00. A receipt will automatically be provided when you pay online. A receipt can also be requested from the Catalyse administrator. Please contact the administrator to inform us that you intend to book. You may download the booking form by scrolling to the end of this page.
Terms and Conditions:
Before proceeding to book and pay for the 5-Session CAT Approach Skills workshop please ensure you read and understand our terms and conditions.